Despite the slow momentum maintained on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) into the thirdquarter of the year 2019, the top 10 stockbroking firms in terms of volume and value still have cause to smile.
Basically, the Nigerian equity market, as measured by All-Share Index depreciated by 12.42% as at the end of August 2019.
The top 10 stockbroking firmsaccounted for 63.79% (6.52 billion shares) of the total volume of stocks traded on the NSE in August 2019 and 74.33% (N92.29 billion) of the total value of traded shares.
The top 10 stockbrokers by value
- Rencap Securities (NIG) limited tops the list. On the Exchange, the firm traded the largest volume of shares to the tune of N22.7 billion or 18.31% of the total value traded in August.
- Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers Limited pulled shares worth N20.6 billion or 16.90% of total traded shares.
- EFG Hermes Nig. Limited traded N12.4 billion (10.05%) worth of shares.
- Chapel Hill Denham Securities Limited N8.5 billion representing 6.85% of total share value traded.
- CSL Stockbrokers Limited is next on the list with N6.4 billion or 5.35% of the total value traded.
- FBN Quest Securities Limited traded shares worth N4.4 billion, representing 4.54% of total value traded.
- Other firms that made the list include Cardinal Stone Securities Limited (4.88 billion), Tellimer Capital Limited (N4.03 billion), Meristem Stockbrokers Limited with N2.5 billion shares and Nigerian International Securities LTD (N3.21 billion)
The top 10 stockbrokers by volume
- TrustBanc Capital Management Limited tops the list with 1.10 billion shares traded in August2019, thereby accounting for 10.79.3% of the total share volume traded.
- Stanbic IBTC Stockbrokers Limited ranks 2nd and traded 1.07 billion shares or 10.50% of the total volume traded.
- Apel Asset Limited –BRD takes the third place with an estimated share traded volume of 939 million or 9.17%.
- Rencap Securities (NIG) limited takes the 4th place with 714.9 million shares traded, representing 6.99% to the total volume traded in the month.
- EFG HERMES NIG. Limited traded 603.8 million shares during the month, representing 6.50% of the total volume traded on the NSE.
- CSl Stockbrokers Limited is next on the list with N444.1 billion or 4.34% of the total value traded.
- Chapel Hill Denham Securities Limited traded 441.1 million shares, which accounted for 6.1% of the total volume traded.
- Other firms that made the list include FBN Quest Security Limited (396.8 million shares), Nigerian Stockbrokers Limited (381.4 million) and Cardinal Stone Securities limited with 365.5 million traded volume of shares.
About the NSE: The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) was established in 1960 as the Lagos Stock Exchange. In 1977, its name was changed from the Lagos Stock Exchange to the Nigerian Stock Exchange. As of August 31, 2019, it had 170 listed companies with the All-Share Index and Market Capitalization closing at 27,525.81 and N13.391 trillion respectively.