Bill Gates says Trump’s WHO funding suspension is dangerous

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates has described the United States President Donald Trump decision to suspend funding the World Health Organization as “dangerous.”

Gates disclosed in his Twitter handle earlier on Wednesday when he said the payments should continue particularly during the global coronavirus pandemic.

He said, “Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds. Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them. The world needs @WHO now more than ever.”

Meanwhile, the United States has been WHO’s largest donor, as it has committed to providing $893 million to the course during its current two-year funding period.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the family’s giant philanthropy, is the next biggest donor to WHO after the U.S., accounting for close to 10% of the United Nations agency’s funding.

Nairametrics had reported earlier that Trump had announced the temporary suspension of funding for the WHO over the alleged cover-up and mismanagement of the coronavirus outbreak in China before spreading around the globe.

This was announced by the US President, during a press briefing at the White House, on Tuesday. April 14, 2020.

Donald Trump, while making the announcement said that the United States is halting funding of the WHO while a review is conducted to assess the health organization’s role in mismanaging the coronavirus outbreak.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *