Anambra govt decries increasing rape of underage girls in state

Anambra State Government has decried the increase in rape cases in the state.

The state alerted that rape cases have been on the rise in the past weeks of lockdown.

Director of Child Welfare Services, Ministry of Women Affairs, Nkechi Anazodo raised the alarm on Monday.

She spoke at Isuaniocha in Awka North LGA during the United Nations Children Emergency Fund’s (UNICEF) flag off of child protection sensitization campaign.

Anazodo recalled that before the lockdown, only 32 cases of rape were recorded.

She said since the directive went into effect, over 80 cases of rape have been recorded.

The official said sexual violence, “has become the order of the day, especially during the period of the lockdown”.

“Even old men now rape children of 12 years and below. The problem we have is that people don’t report”.

Anazodo stated that last week, “a case was brought to us of a 70 year- old man that raped a four-year-old child. The case has gone to the police”.

Anazodo expressed concern that, “Some men have left their wives to be having sexual relationship with children less than five years.”

The director lamented that, “Some fathers raped their daughters more during the lockdown. In many cases, fathers who rape their daughters threaten to kill them if they report.”

She said one of the problems was that many people don’t report rape cases because of stigmatization.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *